15 Facts About Me
For my first post, I thought, what better way to introduce myself than with a bunch of random facts? Okay maybe this isn't the best way for you to get to know me but it's certainly the most fun! Looking through the photos on my computer I realized... there are barely any pictures of me, let alone good pictures. So how about I just throw in a couple of food pictures from my Instagram, @theblissbean! Even better, right? ;) Let's get started!
1. I can form my tongue into a clover shape. This is probably the first thing I share during these sorts of ice breakers. It's a useless skill but it does weird some people out, if that counts as useful. I am NOT going to include a picture so you can Google it if you're curious.
2. I was born in Lithuania. My parents and I moved here after we won the Diversity Immigrant Visa Lottery. We actually won it on our first try (excluding that time we sent our application in too late, oops). I don't think about it often but how different would my life be if I still lived in Europe? It's mind-blowing and I feel so incredibly lucky. I do speak somewhat fluent Lithuanian with my family although I'm always subbing in lots of English words (especially for foods, how am I supposed to know how to say butternut squash in Lithuanian??). Even with my less-than-perfect Lithuanian, being bilingual is a HUGE help for learning other languages!
3. Speaking of, I'm currently studying Spanish. It comes pretty easily to me and although the class and the homework can be a real snoozefest, it's really exciting to find myself understanding Spanish speakers around me. It's like a secret superpower!
4. I want to go to college in Europe. My current dream location is Spain, and I actually have a very convincing set of arguments for this choice:
1. I already know a good deal of Spanish (and even more by the time I graduate!) which means it'll be easier for me to adjust and I'll definitely reach fluency (woohoo, trilingual for da WIN).
2. The climate is warm (I'm 200% done with Midwestern US winters, thank you very much).
3. Warm weather = more fruits + veggies!
4. Wherever you may be in the country, you are close to the beach (or at the very least, closer to a beach than I am currently)
5. I looove Turbo Kick. If you haven't heard of it, it's an exercise class that the Beach Body website describes as a "cardio-kickboxing party". I'd say that's about right. It's definitely the class that I most look forward to because it's different every time, it can be modified to be as easy or as hard as you want it to be, it's basically a dance party, and it's absolutely EXHILARATING.
6. I am a chocolate addict. My bar of choice is the Endangered Animals Chocolate 88% cacao bar. I always have a few extras stashed in a special drawer. I truly did not understand the glorious beauty of chocolate until I "trained" myself to eat darker and darker chocolate, and now my life will never be the same.
7. Also a planner addict. I currently use a homemade disc bound planner and creating and rearranging the pages has been a super fun process. It has materialized many of the ideas and lists that previously floated around my head. My favorite page? My habit tracker. It keeps track of all of my daily, weekly, and monthly habits and is suuuper colorful. I definitely want to do a blog post or video on it some day.
8. While we're at it, I'm also a guacamole addict. Although I am very particular about the taste and texture so usually homemade is the way to go.
9. I hate celery. I truly can't stand the stuff. I woke up one morning with a stubborn, healthful kick and decided to put celery in my smoothie. This little experiment didn't last long, because the fumes from simply slicing the celery sickened me. I had to wash my hands multiple times to get rid of the smell, and the smoothie went celery-less.
10. I like to divide words by number of letters. Let me explain. So let's say I'm walking down the street and I see a billboard with the word "ballerina" on it. I will count the letters to find that there are 9, then divide the word into three groups, bal-ler-ina and say that in my head. If I see the word "addition", I'll try out "addi-tion" and "ad-di-ti-on", playing around with those arrangements in my head. It's weird... It's something that I just automatically do, although not as much as I used to. I'm curious, does anyone else do this?
11. I love to travel. As I get older, I find myself embracing the role of travel planner in the family. My parents handle the hotels, plane tickets, and car rentals, but when it comes to quirky cafes, scenic hikes, and weird landmarks, that's my specialty!
12. I believe in the Oxford comma. If you haven't heard of it, the Oxford comma is the optional comma that comes before the word "and" of the last item in a list. Grammarly.com gives this example for why it is so necessary. With the Oxford comma: "I love my parents, Lady Gaga, and Humpty Dumpty." Without the Oxford comma: "I love my parents, Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty." You see? MY PARENTS ARE NOT LADY GAGA AND HUMPTY DUMPTY.
13. I recently finished Riverdale. I'm kind of a commitment-phobe when it comes to TV series but I started this show at the end of the school year for one reason and one reason only - Cole Sprouse is in it. I actually ended up loving the show and all of its actors and binged watched the first season. Sadly, season 2 doesn't come out until October :(
14. I can't work with music. It's unfortunate because I love music, which means I have to reserve it for specific times when I won't find it distracting. I can't even work with white noise. I can only work in silence OR actual, organic, quiet background noise, by which I mean real nature sounds or quiet library sounds. Recordings don't cut it.
15. This isn't my first blog. I had this one blog in middle school that I actually stuck with for a long time. It was back before I discovered my passion for wellness and it focused mostly on crafts and design. It featured shockingly overexposed photos and useless DIYs. My second blog was more general, had better photography, but just didn't... feel like me, ya know? So here I am now! Blogging about health and stuff.
Now that you've gotten to know me a little better, I'd like to get to know you! If you're here reading this little post, please introduce yourself! I'd love to find some blogs to read! And if you have a similar post, feel free to link ;)
That's all from me for now, but I'll be back soon with a more health-focused post! In the meantime, follow my Instagram, @theblissbean, where I post and update my stories daily!
Thanks for reading :)